Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid is a water-soluble vitamin and can neither be produced nor stored by our body. It is thus essential to consume 90mg of vitamin C daily. Exceeding the daily limit of 2000mg can adversely affect the body. Its deficiency can cause scurvy, bleeding gums, frequent bruising, poor healing of wounds, infections and anaemia. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and if consumed in adequate amounts has numerous health benefits such as boosting immunity, producing white blood cells, lowering inflammation and oxidative stress, reducing the risk of dementia, preventing anaemia by improving the iron absorption from food, lowering blood pressure, reducing heart disease, lowering blood uric acid, protecting against gout attack, boosting collagen, healing of wounds and recovery.
An orange (130g) has 70mg of vitamin C. Found majorly in fruits and vegetables, other superfoods that are highly rich in vitamin C are:
- GREEN BELL PEPPERS: A cup of green bell peppers has 120mg of vitamin C and is also highly rich in fibre and antioxidants.
- CHILLI PEPPERS: A green chilli pepper (45g) contains 109mg of vitamin C. Whereas, a red chilli pepper (45g) contains 65mg of vitamin C. They help in relieving joint and muscle pain, and burning fat.
- MANGO: A mango (336g) has 122mg [a cup of mango (165g) has 60mg] of vitamin C. It is also rich in vitamin A and boosts immunity.
- PAPAYA: A cup of papaya (145g) contains 88mg of vitamin C and is also rich in antioxidants, vitamin B, folate, potassium, magnesium and fiber. It is great for heart, aids memory, has anti-inflammatory effects, reduces oxidative stress, brightens skin and helps in strengthening bones.
- STRAWBERRIES: A cup of strawberries (145g) has 85mg of vitamin C. They are also high in fiber, antioxidants, manganese, antioxidants and folate. They help to reduce heart diseases, lower bad cholesterol, reduce inflammation, promote formation of red blood cells and reduce risk of diabetes.
Foods such as guava, broccoli, kale, pineapple and kiwi are also highly rich in Vitamin C, antioxidants and other nutrients.
Vitamin C Supplements
Vitamin C supplements are a great and easy way to increase our vitamin C consumption if one struggles to get enough from their diet. Health Doqtor Hybrid Series HD Vita-C Blend tablets are a potent antioxidant. Consuming one HD vitamin C tablet every day helps to meet our daily requirement of vitamin C, zinc and D3. It helps boost immunity, increases metabolic rate, improves iron absorption, and produces healthy enzymes; aids in burning fat and maintaining good cholesterol; helps control calcium concentration and is vital for the development of strong bones. It also helps to improve digestion, nerve functions, protein balance, brain functions and testosterone levels. Further, it is also vital for collagen synthesis, keeps skin, organs and blood vessels healthy, protects from cellular damage and helps in healing wounds and recovery
The bottom line
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin and it is important to consume it regularly in sufficient amounts from diet or supplements. Foods such as bell peppers, broccoli, mango, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, guava are highly rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C has several significant health benefits. Both its deficiency and excess can cause severe health problems.